Tuesday, June 7, 2022

More Cowbell

 


Been living thru the aftermath of my facial surgery.  Still covered up for the next few days till the stitches are removed.  A rainy night in Berkley last evening.  Could hear the sound of it as I awake early.  Wondering what the outcome of this will be.  Will the scarring be obvious?  Will my face be newly defined by it?  How many explanations will have to be made?  I guess I am not sorry I went to have my body looked at.  Maybe it will be the impetus for the kids around me to listen to their parents and wear sunscreen.  Dr. Lenny told me that the cancer was from a long time ago.

 


There was a sketch in SNL in 2000 where Christopher Walken played record producer Bruce Dickinson directing the band Blue Oyster Cult into their "Don't Fear the Reaper" track.  Will Ferrell plays the cowbell in it as a band member.  It was funny and stayed with many of us.  It was mentioned on Jeopardy and some did not get the joke.  I went back to footage and watched it again and was delighted. I would be curious to know who remembers this memorable skit.

This is an intensely personal writing for me.  It is peculiar the things that we remember that were impactful in our past.  When I was about 11 my parents had a new baby.  Her name was Pamela Jean and Joan and I were shipped up to Flint to stay with Grandma and her new husband Eddie or about two weeks prior to the birth.  Their home was a two bedroom frame home on E. McClellan Street across from Flint Northern HS.  It had an enclosed front porch so you could view the cars speeding by on the busy avenue.  Their next door neighbors were an old couple named Mr and Mrs. Gumm.  They had plum trees in their back yard which we picked from that summer.  This was the summer of my first boyhood crush. On the other side there was a family with a high school girl that was lovely and short in stature with a ready smile that I was completely smitten with.  I would sit on the porch waiting expectantly to say hello as she passed bay to go home.  We would occasionally have brief conversations passing the time too.  It was definitely a high point in my summer.

Many of us have collections of memories from our past still so clear we could paint pictures of the scenes where they took place.  They could be of family gatherings or concerts with friends or sporting events.  This was one of mine.

Not much really going on today aside from a short trip to the bank and to TJ's.  Judy went to PF this morning.  I am excluded till I have my stitches removed.

Have been enjoying the reboot of Bosch.  Now he is a PI and still has some contact with his old police cronies from before.  Maddy his daughter is now a rookie cop dealing with all those trials and tribulations.  I like Harry's character with a strong moral center kind of shlumpy with a dad bod.  Mimi Rogers is also excellent as his foil the defense lawyer.  She was once married to Tom Cruise being 6 years his senior.

Humor is subjective.  What I enjoy, you might find boring or offensive.  I personally enjoy the Jerry Seinfeld "Comedians in cars getting Coffee" on Netflix.  The programs are about 16 minutes long, much akin to a standup routine.  Many are very humorous to me.  His brand of comedy is  observational and to my liking.

Went walking around dinner time this evening.  pictured are some of the plantings I saw.  Had occasion to meet and talk to the owner of my favorite lawn sculpture, a metal pig with wings, a very charming woman with many tattoos.  She said she saw it at a craft show and had to have it.  It makes. me smile whenever I walk past. 

all for now

stay safe




No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...