Saturday, June 4, 2022

Marie the Speaker


Had surgery on my face yesterday for basal cell carcinoma.  Not pleasant but the most treatable kind of skin cancer.  We did not know about sun screen when we were kids.  It was only Coppertone and maybe baby oil to deepen the tan.  Now paying the price for all the excesses.  Should look rather Frankensteinesque for the next couple of weeks.  Feeling a little melancholy today.  I think it will pass. Had a good time at the barber shop yesterday, laughing with these guys made me forget about the state of my face.  I really. have no idea why they take me in.  We were all chuckling with the "should have seen the other guy" remarks.  There were a lot of kids getting haircuts on this day, very noisy but full of life.

Gas crossed the 5 dollar mark in my neighborhood.  I paid 4.85 a gallon in the next town.  No gas shortage this time like in the Carter era.  This is based on the pure greed of the oil companies looking to recoup their losses when the price on crude oil plummeted a few years ago.  I paid 4.24 for a half gallon of milk at the local 7-11 a few days ago.  Must admit, I was shocked.  

Oak Ridge Elem had their annual Red, White and Blue day last Tuesday in the blazing sun.  My darling Marie was one of the speakers.  At this event, military veterans are honored and recognized by the students, teachers and the attendees.  Judy was there as an honoree as a Navy nurse.  This event has been occurring since 1968 started by a third grade teacher in honor of her brother who served in Viet Nam.  Sadly for us, this will be our last attendance because next year, middle school awaits.  We have participated at this fine school for two generations of students.  For me, this grandkid time frame was wonderful because I could directly participate.  There are teachers I will miss of course.  Mrs. Lois Mann was the kindergarten teacher for Katey and Jon and Eli and Marie.  She is about a year short of me and is still going strong, connecting with her students and making them feel safe and happy, learning many things along the way. 

Spent the night at Andrew's last evening.  These guys need little tending to.  Each have their own room and their own entertainment.  Simon the kitty peers out for an occasional pet.  I watched all the David Letterman interviews previously missed.  This show is mostly about the connection made with the guests.  At the completion, they really know each other and have some affection shared.  My favorite was Cardi B, a performer I knew nothing about, but they too connected.

Taking off my bandages today to have a first look at the outcome.  Nervous but needing to move forward.

that's it

all for now




No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...