Saturday, April 2, 2022

Sunrise at the Penetentiary

The sun has arisen in Berkley, the birds are awake and singing. Made an omelet with largely egg whites and was not happy with the flavor and despite the butter and olive oil, it stuck to my cast iron pan.  Will write it off to a failed experiment.  

I really am tired of the pepperoni on pizza.  For me, it has outlived its usefulness.  When you stop for a slice, it always has this stuff on it.  It is some manner of meat substance and I would be afraid to look at the actual ingredients.  

Speaking of meat, while at Katey's with Apollo yesterday, I viewed a series called Meat Eater out of boredom and curiosity.  The programs feature a handsome young man being led by experienced guides on the hunt for Elk in some western state.   The smiling guide is employing some sound maker that looks like a trumpet to imitate the sound of a female (cow) elk.  He is trying to get a nearby bull in sight so his partner can slay the animal with a hi tech bow and arrow.  So here we have this majestic creature wandering around looking to get laid and whoosh, down with one arrow to the midsection.  His slayer marches over and proudly examines his kill manipulating the massive horns patting himself and his guide on the back for the thrill of the kill they delivered.  Then the program shows the two dismantling the carcass and loading meat into plastic bags to be butchered and stored.  It's been a great day. 

As you may expect, I am not a hunter, having no desire to personally end the life of woodland creatures.  I have shot a gun once.  I have a complete disconnect with this type of sport.  At some point in my family history, I believe this was a necessary activity.  My mom lived on a farm where chickens were killed and eaten.  I am not a vegetarian, and I enjoy a good chicken sandwich pre processed in some factory owned by Tyson Foods so I cannot wave the PETA flag.  I just don't get hunting for Peter Rabbit, or Bambi.  There are many families that make this a rite of passage for youngsters.  I get this, passing down traditions from one generation to the next.

It is not my place to pass judgement on this activity.  But watching this program it a chord with me.

Well that's all my bitching for today.  Making sweet potato fries in Katey's air fryer today.  Judy loves these.  I cannot see the big deal.  Going to Trader Joes for some provisions and Shannon will spend the night.

All for now

stay safe



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...