Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Shopping for disaster

Snowmaggedan today with predictions of a foot or more in our town.  Nothing but rain thus far.  Kids have the day off from school.  Markets are filled with shoppers preparing for the apocalypse. (Thank god this program completes words for you when they are started).  I was among the masses.  First went to Trader Joe's amidst the crush of Subarus in the lot and surrounded by serious shoppers stocking up on healthy food and reading labels for content.  This brand of auto seems to be the official vehicle of the store, maybe with old Bernie Sanders stickers on the bumpers, no MAGA hats or NRA stfckers affixed and filled with reusable bags.  These shoppers are not terribly stylish but are very utilitarian with bags firmly across the shoulders crossing the chest.  Serious hats, earmuffs and scarves abound.  Masks are profound, some doubled up.  And above all they are serious and earnest. 

Went to Walmart for the protein shake Judy likes.  The experience was not too bad once I located the product I was looking for with the help of a tall male associate.  The checkout line was slowed by the senior lady before me, with the Coach clutch who did not know a new credit card needed to be activated before it could be used.

The little Woodward Corners Market was pretty filled in the evening and I secured the items I needed.  Even with the long line that stretched around the store, things moved along with all self checkout registers.  So now my preparations are complete.  Going to Andrew's to get the kids and later take them to their mother's. By mid afternoon I should be done.

I know this sounds weird but I put some leftover Orange Chicken in with my eggs this morning.  It was actually pretty good with the flavor of the sauce mingling with the eggs.  I know peculiar.

Viewed the first episode of The Gilded Age, the Julian Fellowes look at New York society in the 1890's.  The sets are enormous and the costuming misses no details of the period.  There was probably 1K miles of fabric used for the ladies dresses and about 500 miles of it for the mens attire.  As with Downton, the first look sets the stage and is mostly exposition for the stories to follow.  You get to meet the characters and all their forced politeness, see 5th Avenue as a manicured dirt road, and watch all the opulence.  I checked with Janine about the address 5th Ave at 63rd street and learned that this was and is across from Central Park.  For me the jury is still out on this one. Christine Baranski is one of my favorites and portrays one of the main characters.

Well that's it.

be careful with the shoveling

find a blanket and a good series to binge.

all for now


 
 

1 comment:

  1. I like your title Snowmaggden. In years past the weather was not so predictable. They have us convinced on this one. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...