Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Passing Thoughts

Yesterday while going to pickup the kids for school, I passed Star Bakery as I crossed over into Oak Park. Even though it was about 6:30 am, the lights were on with the staff loading the shelves with todays wares, breads, cookies and pastries.  I don't know why but the movie As Good as it Gets the Jack Nicholson-Helen Hunt film.  My favorite romantic scene from the movie was at the end when he kisses her under a street lamp in the early morning and tells her there is a bakery around the corner with the warm rolls just coming out of the oven.  They walk arm and arm toward the place.  The lights go on at the store and they go in.  That's it, The movie closes.  You can almost smell the bakery from your seat. a perfect nuanced moment. 

We had an exciting weekend with the little boys.  Went to the zoo for a brief visit on Sunday afternoon.  Judy and the crew ran all the halls of our 8 floor building to burn off the energy built up from too much tv viewing.  Andrew and his kids showed up with bagels in tow on Sunday morning so we had a house full. 

So today was an Apollo day.  On some occasions, I visit Benitos Pizza for a slice or two on my way to Katey's. They never disappoint.  Usually I enter their tiny parking lot when it is empty and depart before any one else show up.  Today was following by a large work van driven by a tradesman looking for lunch.  A real friendly guy, a pipe fitter working on renovations at the Red Run Golf club.  It always nice to share a smile and some conversation with a stranger.  We discussed the parking lot and how we would both get out easily and went on our separate ways.  

Also went to Western Market to get cookies for Eli and Marie.  I always nose around there for temptations and had the self control to pass them by.  I am in the check out line. Something fell out of the register next to me.  It was a plastic plate of some kind.  it landed on my foot.  The frantic cashier asked if she had injured me.  I said I was seriously injured and would be filing a claim,  a stupid guy trying to make a joke.  She didn't get it, no laughs, said she would get the manager.  I paid and left. In the world we live in, there are no jokes allowed.

We started watching 1883 the prequel to Yellowstone last evening.  Sam Elliott is in the staring role with a surprising solid performance by singer Tim McGraw.  This is almost too gritty, with lots of blood, dirt and modern cursing.  It is probably close to the reality of the period with no punches pulled.  I might be miserable enough in this closed environment we live in.  

Could not find Kelloggs Corn Pops in two big stores for Eli's breakfasts and snacks. I think the company has ceased production or it is stuck in the supply chain mess.  Will have to make another choice.   I know a big tragedy. In other grocery news, Kroger pays for no cashiers.  Mid day at their super store in Royal Oak, there are two lines of shoppers extending to the back of the store.  I am through with this place.  There are lots of other choices.

Well, stay warm tomorrow, supposed to be in the single digits.

be safe

all for now









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...