Wednesday, July 5, 2023

The 5th of July

It's the 5th of July.  The sun has arisen into smoky skies, thanks to the wildfires to our north.  Looked at the weather for cast like usual but now make a bee line for the air quality index. Is it good or poor.  I think the latter looking out my window.  Wednesday today and I have to pick up kids today at a more relaxed 10am.  Before that taking on Planet Fitness and their new equipment.  Frankly the old machines satisfied my needs quite nicely.  Embracing change is difficult at this point,  but must move forward.  This by the way is a lovely hydrangea from our grounds.

Yesterday we celebrated  Independence Day.  Admittedly, I have mixed feelings about this holiday. Yes I know a band of rag tag patriots with dreams of freedom sent the British back home in defeat.  Also, I know I and my ancestors before me greatly benefited from their actions.  As I kid this was a singularly terrific day with BBQ's and sparklers and fireworks.  I guess I knew what was being celebrated .

We have had our share of misdeeds in our history.  From the trail of tears for Native peoples to the scourge of human ownership in our earlier history.  We placed innocent American citizens in internments camps because of their heritage. Black Wall Street was burned to the ground in Tulsa in 1921 which was never part of my history classes in high school or even college. These are sobering facts that need to be in the national record and revealed in schools,  no matter how uncomfortable they make us feel.  This is a great nation that defeated Hitler and Tojo only by the solidarity of its citizens and their sacrifices.  We lost many good soldiers in the Viet Nam conflict.  I still have strong feelings about America.  We can and should continue to strive for equal justice for all through our actions and laws. We should revel in our diversity and not hide it, but embrace it.

Again, my opinions

all for now

stay safe




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...