Saturday, January 7, 2023

Looking back and forward

This is the first  blog  I prepared, nearly 7 years ago.  I was perplexed as to what to do with the rest of my life, my relationship with my family and how to occupy my time and how to be happy.  Some of these topics are still unanswered.  Judy can still stand me,  my kids and grand kids like me.   I have retained a few friends from my past that I see sporadically.  All of us now have moved forward from what we were and how we were measured in society.Those measurements have changed.  Folks don't care about your business accomplishments at this point   Retirement like walking down that aisle at graduation as the equalizer and can become your reinvention. 

I have met cousins I never knew I had and am thrilled that they want to know me.  They are from far off lands.  With the advent of technology, we can all communicate visually in real time over thousands of miles.  I still find this completely remarkable.  This morning, we are supposed to have another call via Messenger.  I admit to feeling great anticipation.

November 10, 2016 
My name is Jerry.  I terminated my employment of 28 years on April 1st of this year.  It was a good job not making me wealthy but paying the bills and at some times inspiring.  I wanted to start this blog to work through this transition in my life and maybe sharing some useful information with others, mainly men in my position to help with their move into retirement.

First, when you are accustomed to waking up very early, preparing and moving through your day and now that it is stopped, what do you do with yourself?  Still arising at some ungodly hour, little to do and not much to accomplish, time is your challenge.  You have been away from your spouse for most of the waking hours of you life, and frankly she us used to that.  Now you are sitting across from the breakfast table, looking at each other.  Being married over 40 years, aside from occasions, we ate breakfast separately and she likes her quiet time without and questions (of any kind).

I have no answers on this one, which leads me to another issue, relationships.  Your spouse and you will put your relationship to the test as well because you are dealing with each other with more time than ever.  How does everyone stay happy or at least contented?  None of this easy.  It takes work ont the part of both parties.

On another side and a different topic, I am disheartened with the results of the recent election, but I will get thru it, feeling better than I did yesterday.  

all for now 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...