Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Day 1


Okay so, all the other parents/grandparents are doing it. But if feel compelled to show  pictures of the new Kindergartener in Grand Rapids, my grandson Paxton Peter Kocsis.  Just got these from Carla  the mother of Eli and Marie will be doing the same this year for the 7th and 6th grades.  We did not have our photo's taken on the first day of any year.  The pictures were hard to take, took time at the drug store to develop and you had to get out all the camera stuff.
With today's technology,  these are much more easily accomplished.  I am glad of that.  But frankly, the parents of the 50's did not make a big deal about going off to school regardless of the year.  You got a lunch in your Superman lunch box, a couple of spiral notebooks and pencils, loads of pencils and you were off, maybe with PF Flyers on your feet, a pressed shirt and corduroy pants.  Hair was always neatly combed topped of with a dab of your father's Brylcreem.
Frankly, I thing all these photos are a good thing.  These little people will be big people sooner than you think and will thoroughly enjoy seeing them,  laughing when they are teenagers and sparking memories when they are adults.  For me, it's hard to remember who I was at this point of my life.  I do recall my Kindergarten teacher was named Miss Lyons.  She was a kind older teacher whose main job to maker her young charges feel safe.  That feeling of safety is a much larger part of the experience.  My observations of the teachers I have grown to know and love is that ability.  The other is to really see and connect with students.  Mrs. Mann at Oak Ridge got right down to the kids level and looked them in the eye and the connection was made.  Because I am a middle school grandparent, I am away from this elementary school and miss it today.  I miss, Mrs. Mann, Mrs Coates, Mrs. Mangum and my pal Mr. L.  These are providers of knowledge but more important, safety and connection.

that's it

all for now

safe and enjoy the first day of school
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...