Friday, August 26, 2022

Cloudy Sunrise in Southfield


With my grand kids today in Southfield.  Took this shot from the fifth floor of their building.  Really an low keyed morning with them, much easier than when they were younger.  

We had a wonderful time a the New Gateways 30th Anniversary celebration with Shannon and these two yesterday.  They had a large tent, a catered lunch and an accordion band (like at a Polish wedding).  These folks worked really hard setting this up and feeding us all.  The director Lynn has done a remarkable job loving, training, making fun for this group of disabled clients that range from 26 to retirement age.  I cannot sing her praises nor the staff loudly enough.  If you are looking for a charitable organization to consider,  New Gateways is a worthy choice.

Let's discuss the student loan payment forgiveness.  There are many opinion both positive and negative about this topic as well as some in the middle.  Me, I have no real skin in this game.  The US Navy paid for the educations of one son and one daughter, both having honorably served their country.  My eldest is a successful community college RN and he paid his own way.  

But I heard from a good friend of mine that rarely revels his rancor, expressing his displeasure  that he struggled to put 3 kids thru college and feels this is a program that is unfair to those that played by the rules.  Former students that paid off a mountain of debt are pissed.  In todays world, students can emerge from university with as much as 100K in debt with a newly minted degree and a Job making less than 50K a year.  The educational system now is completely revenue based.  It will take decades to pay off these loans.  That is just fact of life.  In my opinion, at the very least, a 2 year program at a community college should by covered by the feds/states.  That way a person can learn job skills that will allow them to be self sufficient. 

On a different subject, I took my grandson Eli bowling today.  My performance confirmed I was always bad at  this and I've never gotten better.  Swinging a bright yellow 13 lb. ball for two games now allows me to barely rest my elbow on this table to type.  it feels like I was pounding with a sledge hammer with one arm for an hour. But I was happy to do my Poppy thing and he enjoyed it. 

that's it

all for now

stay safe




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...