Thursday, July 28, 2022

Visit with a friend

Had a splendid visit from with Tom Wade, a friend from my past. We both worked for Matty Moroun at Central Transport in the early 70's.  Tom was about 21 and I was 23 when we met. We were something called rate clerks. We applied prices to freight bills on the afternoon shift with their new computer system.  My hours were 5pm to 1am.  it was a good shift to save money because you got home it was only an hour  till closing time. It was the 70's with sneaking around pot smoking and other drugs. My hair was long and brown and Tom's was short and brown too.  We smoked at our desks.  I listened to "All Things Considered" in its infancy as well as a program called Radio Mystery Theater.  We slammed coffee in small cups from a machine.  Don't really remember what lunch was.

This day we did lots of reminiscing and Judy learned more about my past, chatting about the cast of characters in the office.  I am sure that most or all of the senior members of the staff are gone by now. I made a lunch of chicken, salad and bread, with watermelon for the closing course and all enjoyed.  Andrew came by and dined as well.  The big hit was the caprese salad, made with heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil from my garden, a really simple dish but with the right ingredients, amazing.  

It was Shark Week at New Gateways and Miss Shannon was part of the celebration.
This is my favorite garden creature in the neighborhood, a metal pig with wings.  He always brings a smile to my face.

We have had some spousal deaths in the penitentiary.  Its a reminder that time marches on and just when you have everything figured out,  the rug gets pulled out.  A decent perspective with a little lightness is needed because all our tomorrows are mysteries.

Thats it
all for now 
stay safe and cool


No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...