Thursday, July 21, 2022

El Toro and El Matadore

So at 7am and I am drinking my coffee and sweating. It's  another hot one today in Berkley.  Did not fall below the high 70's during the night.    Met this charming pair on my walk with Harry before it got too hot. 

It's the next day.  We just finished our kid week and now have a few days off.  Judy has been with grand kids since the beginning last week for her vacation in NJ with her family.  So a break certainly was warranted.   I was on animal duty for that time.  My biggest stressor was the ability to keep track of keys.  Have always had a paranoia about that.  

Visited my new primary car physician for my annual physical on Tuesday.  This is my first female doc.  I was so dissatisfied with the last guy, was really ready for a change.  Aside from my diabetes, I am a pretty healthy guy but I need someone to talk to for advice on how best to move forward as I age.  Hate to say is but aging is not going away for any of us.  

She is a thirtysomething woman with a ready smile and a calm demeanor possessing a firm handshake.  She actively listened to the tale of my life and my family history asking questions along the way.  She checked my feet.  Her nurse did my bloodwork, and did an EKG on me.  Did not have to go traveling to a Beaumont Lab.  Everything was done in house.  

This is a doc that quit the Beaumont system now owned by BMG.  This corporation tells doctors how to do their job,  how long it should take, how many patients to see in a day and how much time to be spent with them.  Due to these policies, 454 doctors have quit due to the constraints put upon them. This doc spent about an hour and a half with me.  The employee docs give you about 20 minutes tops.  Needless to say, I am pleased. 

My friend Al Wyckhuys and I worked as teenagers at a clothing store named United Shirt Distributors.  Haven't really thought about this place in a long time.  He wrote a blog recently telling of some of his experiences in this employment and it stirred up some old memories for me too.  I was 17 at the time and probably a junior in high school.   This was a kind of coming of age for me.  It was a little store that sold shirts, pants, neck ties and socks which was referred to as furnishings in those days.  Had to wear a shirt and tie and maybe a sweater.  We pointed the customers in the direction of the stuff they were interested in but not much else.  This was also the place that I began my short cigarette smoking internship. I left the habit in 1976.  All the guys that worked there smoked and I wanted to join in.  It was 1967 and my parents did not give me much grief about it.  Because the mall was close, I could walk there and home at night.  Al and I discussed in messages the managers we had and other ups and downs about the era.  

Did the dog walk and PF early to beat today's temps

Got all my bloodwork results back,  I stress for a year over the definitive diabetes test called Hemoglobin A!C.  In this years results, it went down, meaning my sugars are reasonably controlled as of now.  I am blissful for a little while at least.

stay cool and hydrated
all for now


No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...