Tuesday, February 8, 2022

A New Fitbit

 Had a difficult time clearing out my brain last evening to achieve a decent night's sleep.  Up from midnight to 3am with my brain racing non stop filled with the most random thoughts.  One of the things that comes to mind regards learning and the ability to learn.  There is an old adage (an old word), "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".  It is my contention that us old dogs absolutely need to learn new bits of knowledge every day.  If one becomes complacent and chooses not to learn anything new or try anything new because keeping things the same is easier, you will lose your abilities to grow.  I have found that to be true in myself.

Recently joining United Healthcare recently, I received a Fitbit activity tracker at no charge.  I have used these for some time.  My purchased one has probably more features than this device.  I am trying this out to compare the two as regards ease of use mainly how well I can see the numbers without glasses.

Had good conversation with the cronies this morning about trying new things as an exercise in mental acuity.  Doing the same things over and over again at the same time, makes us dullards.  

I found myself in possession of some loose tea in differing flavors.  All smelled pretty good in their dried state.  Went online and bought mesh metal tea balls to brew the stuff in.  No mater what I did, the tea leaves escaped making a mess and requiring additional straining; way too much trouble to continue.  My ever resourceful spouse came up with the concept of putting the tea in one of the reusable coffee pods you can buy and plunging into hot water.  Voila! it worked, no mess and clear tea.  Again, its good to learn something that works!

It's a day in the high twenties with no snow falling.  We took a trip to the Detroit Zoo to walk on the path there as they do a good job maintaining the surfaces.  We had the place to ourselves as it was really empty. To our surprise, we saw some animals out in the cold tramping thru the snow.  Seeing zebras, camels, vultures huddled on the ground, hawks gliding past and of course polar bears enjoying the cold.  Other than having numb thumbs, it felt good to move. 

Big sports news these days, the Winter Olympics and the Super Bowl both fill the airways.  I am only interested in the football game this year.  Matthew Stafford suffered with the Detroit Lions for 11 years.  I am thrilled along with many Detroiters to see him in the Big Game leading the LA Rams.  

all for now 

stay warm and safe

sick of winter 




No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...