Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Genders?

We watched a streamed episode of Stephen last night after Jeopardy.  The guests were Kristen Stewart and Jonathan Van Ness, two LGBTQ celebrities.  Both are married to someone of the same gender.  Stewart seemed far too quirky for me and the interviewer never seemed to know which way things were going. Van Ness emerged from the side stage entrance in a flowing orange off the shoulder dress with high heeled sparkling booties. He was very comfortable in his garb.  His claim to fame is his participation in the latest incarnation of Queer Eye.  When the first version of this scenario came out in 2003 it featured Ted Allen the cook now on Chopped and Carson Kressley who is featured in fashion segments on different "lifestyle" shows and three others.  I liked this show because it taught men about how to look, cook, organize their space and maybe be more appealing to their significant others.  It introduced viewers to a differing perspective with valid point of view and seemed to really help out the recipient of their advice.  

I have to admit that Van Ness and his antics bug me.  I know this shows my lack of empathy.  His sashaying across the stage in the flowing dress looks put on.  It may be his true identity and that's his business.  I get transgendered persons that feel they ar trapped in a body they don't belong in.  I get people being attracted to the same gender.  I don't get a person that wants to be referred as "they".  That reference makes me uncomfortable.  To me they means a group of people, not an individual.  

Judy and I had a spirited discussion after this program.  I had to finally admit that my discomfort with the topic of gender fluidity stems from my lack of understanding. Part of it is finding a place I am comfortable in.  While I consider myself a reasonably moral person, this reality, in part ruins my sense of well being.  That problem is mine, and no one else's. 

I finished viewing the fourth season of A Handmaids Tale yesterday.  This second viewing of these episodes fully showed the cathartic rage that June the main character let loose culminated in the group assassination of her captor and torturer Fred Waterford. 

Started for the second time, Game of Thrones which will require some time commitment and tax my memory to remember all the story lines and plot twists as I travel thru the episodes.

Temps will be 5 degrees at sunrise this morning in Berkley.  Wear your long johns

all for now

stay warm and safe
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...