Had a nice outing with Kat yesterday (I will always call her Katey even though this is preferred moniker).
We attended the Blakes Orchard Pickle fest in Romeo Michigan. This place is a working farm about 45 minutes northeast of us on a rolling hillside. Both of us have a thing for pickles and this event was supposed to teach us how to make them. My mom Dorothy could whip up a batch of bread and butter chips in nothing flat and they were always a favorite for out family.
This was one of those family friendly events with generations of people attending. Lots of vendors selling homemade goods, a couple of singers giving their renditions of country/rock classics and of course pickles
She and I got a container and the vegetables to pickle, salt, spices and vinegar delivered from a large vat to fill up the container. She and I have had a debate as to how long the ingredients should ferment. Should be at least a few days. Anyway a pretty good time.
It was a glimpse into a simpler life in more space with no flashing lights or sirens or loud music. No suburban lots with neat lawns and manicured yards. The event was filled with unfancy people and their kids. I like to observe environments that are different than what I am accustomed to.
It saddened me to read this morning of the death of Hayden Panettiere. I remember her mostly as the little daughter that knew football in "Remember the Titans" one of the best sports movies ever.
Off to Planet Fitness and Trader Joes this morning still looking for some rain.


No comments:
Post a Comment