Friday, September 2, 2022

Pinky Berkley Sunrise



Took Eli and Marie to the former Dondero HS now called Royal Oak Middle School yesterday for their room finding/locker locating adventure.  In its original incarnation it was Royal Oak High School and opened in 1927.  Later it was renamed for George A. Dondero, a school board president and later congressman.  I am obsessed with local history and love digging in and finding out where names of places came from.  Notably, Eagles founder Glenn Frey (class of 1966) and Jason Beverlin a former pitcher for the Detroit Tigers graduated from here.   But enough about notables.  

This day we went to ROMS and I climbed and chased Marie to all of her class locations, always at least 10 steps behind.  This place stays true to its architecture for the most part with oak bannisters and arched windows.  There  is a WPA era mural in the auditorium called The Naming of Royal Oak which I am sad I missed.  It is shown here. We located all the necessary spots and met the new principal who was handing out directions.  I got in nearly all my steps for the day and my Fitbit says I climbed 10 floors.  it felt like 40. When I was in high school I remember that there were a lot of pretty girls that went to this school.  It seems we were always chasing them on Friday nights on Woodward hoping for a glimpse and a smile, maybe a phone number.  All I ever got was the glimpse.

It is September 2nd and the summer is almost over.  All the kids will be back in school.  Paxton is starting Kindergarten in Grand Rapids. I cannot believe it.  He is Mr. Conversation with clearly formed ideas.  I hope for a great year for him.

Going to Trader Joes for provisions and a reluctant trip to Planet Fitness today

that's it.

all for now

stay safe




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

More developments

Well more stuff is being delivered today.  Appliances are coming.  The plumber is hooking up the sink/disposal/faucet.  Stove and dishwasher...